Monday, February 22, 2010

Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Stew

Having church at 2 o'clock in the afternoon on Sunday makes for a very hungry family when we finally get home around 5:30.  I've been resorting to the crock pot for meals and we are absolutely loving it!  Yesterday we had a mock chicken pot pie that was to die for.  I know if the girls finish their meals at the same time Victor and I do (and without any coaching) then it was a good one.  And if they ask for more? A really good one!  Both of those things happened yesterday, so I thought I'd share the recipe with you today.

I've been known to make a pretty good chicken pot pie in my day.  I don't do it very often because my recipe is a bit on the labor intensive side.  For this crock pot version, I decided to simplify it a bit and use canned cream of chicken soup with milk and sour cream rather than making a white sauce.  This would make a great freezer or "once a month cooking" recipe.  Just mix all the ingredients except for the chicken and pour into a gallon freezer bag.  Freeze the chicken seperately and store together.   Then on the day you want to eat it, just thaw, place it in your slow cooker with chicken and cook as directed.

We served this over "Home Storage Biscuits" (recipe below). There was enough left over for Victor to take for lunch today and for Hailey and I at home, too.   Served over the biscuits, it really does taste just like chicken pot pie!  I'm just sorry that it all was eaten before I remembered to take a picture of it.

Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Stew - printable version


1-1/2 cups Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup Onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 (8 ounce) package baby carrots
1 cup frozen peas or mixed vegetables
1 (26 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cubes (2 tsp.) chicken bouillon
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. celery salt (or regular salt)
1 tsp. ground black pepper
2-3 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Yield - 6 servings
  1. Mix all ingredients in a large crock pot, placing chicken breasts on top.
  2. Cook on high for 5-6 hours.
  3. Break up chicken pieces with a wooden spoon before serving.
  4. Serve over split biscuits.
Okay, now for those biscuits.  I buy "Pancake and Waffle Mix" in bulk at the LDS Family Home Storage Center.  If you want to know if there's one in your area, check out this list of locations.  Anyway, there's no recipe on the package for anything but pancakes and waffles.  I didn't want to have to buy another mix for biscuits, so I came up with this recipe for biscuits to make from the mix.  This will work for any pancake mix, really.

Home Storage Biscuits - printable version

2 1/2 cups pancake mix (any brand)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil or melted butter
1 egg

Yield - About 9 biscuits
  1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients until a soft dough forms.
  3. To make Drop Biscuits: Drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.
  4. To make Cut Biscuits: On a floured surface, roll the dough to 1/2 inch thick. Cut with a 2-1/2 inch biscuit cutter.
  5. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until just beginning to brown.
I love having a versatile mix around.  I think I'll need to come up with some more recipes for it!

I've got some more slow cooker recipes that I'm working on.  I'll share them another day.  Hopefully, this one will get you inspired to try it!

Thanks for playing!
Jan

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - thanks for sharing. We made this today. It worked out great.

Have you ever tried "Magic Mix" (flour, powdered milk and butter blended together to make a white sauce base)from EverdayFoodStorage.net?

http://everydayfoodstorage.net/2008/05/21/the-magic-of-magic-mix-recipes-perfect-for-kids/food-storage-recipes

You can use it to make your own condensed soups using your food storage. You can see her recipe for cream of chicken soup here:

http://everydayfoodstorage.net/2008/11/10/make-your-own-condensed-soups-from-magic-mix/food-storage-recipes

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge. I don't think I ever imagined sharing recipes when we were at Clayton Valley.

Jennifer

Post a Comment