Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Slow Cooker Swiss Steak

Here's recipe #3 for the day: Slow Cooker Swiss Steak.  This is quite possibly one of the easiest slow cooker recipes on the planet.  You can't go wrong with it!  This is my mother's recipe.  I think this was probably my most favorite dish when I was a kid.  It makes a fabulous Sunday dinner.  In a pinch, make little patties of ground beef in place of the stew meat.  I think my kids liked it better that way!  I've also substituted a jar of spaghetti sauce for the tomato sauce with delicious results.

Slow Cooker Swiss Steak - printable version

2 pounds stew beef, cut into 1 to 2 inch cubes
1 large (29 ounce) can tomato sauce or tomato puree
salt
pepper

Yield - 8 servings

In a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker, place a layer of beef cubes. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper
Spoon tomato sauce over each piece.
Repeat layers of beef, salt and pepepr, and tomato sauce.
Cover and cook on low heat setting for 10-11 hours or on high heat setting for 5-6 hours.
Serve over potatoes.

Perhaps this will become your kids' new favorite!
Thanks for playing!
Jan

0 comments:

Post a Comment